Rhythm Kids® is a music, movement, and drumming program that helps children complete the pathway of early childhood music development. In each weekly music class, we drum, sing, move, and play to rhythms inspired by musical traditions around the world, from West African Gahu, to Japanese Taiko, to Brazilian Samba, just to name a few.
Students learn to compose, choreograph, and conduct as they play—and play with—a variety of musical instruments: West African djembe drums, percussion instruments, and, the most important instruments of all, their voices and their bodies. As your big kid learns to think and create like a musician, they’ll also build musical connections to the global community.
- Learn, create, discover and explore music, movement and drumming from cultures around the world
- Explore traditional drumming patterns through animal names and movements
- Develop new repertoire on various percussion instruments
- Increase skill in improvising, soloing, conducting, and composition
- Participate in active musical games that are enriching and fun
Rhythm Kids follows through on the Music Together® vision to help children complete the
pathway of early childhood music development from birth through age 8. As part of the Rhythm
Kids experience, children and their grownups can enjoy drumming play and practice sessions at
home with the help of online play-along videos featuring Rhythm Kids creator Tom Foote.
This approach brings a great, constructive activity to your family’s day, and sets the stage for further musical learning in lessons, and musical literacy.
While your kids are having fun, they’ll be refining focus, dexterity, coordination, and rhythm – all things they’ll use every day for the rest of their lives.
- Weekly, 45-minute classes.
- Animal Collection Songbook and CD each semester, plus digital download options.
- Access to online video tutorials and play-alongs.
This is an instrument-learning class, so your child will need a drum. Please ask your teacher
about the special discounts on djembe drums that are available to Music Together families.